Thursday, March 3, 2016

Repairing the front frame.

Today I started withe the repair of the rust in the frame and spring tower on the passenger side.
First I cleaned the part with a wire brush on a grinder.
 Then I started with drilling out the spot welds on the seem of the frame.
 With a cut off wheel I cut out a piece of the frame rail. This gave me access to the top of the frame.
 The rotted pieces were then cut out...
 And new pieces are cut out of a sheet of metal with a thickness of 2 mm. After bending, forming and cutting the pieces to fit I welded all the parts back in place.
 Then all welds are ground flush.
 Then I turned my attention to the front off the frame. On the inside of the engine bay near the front panel I noticed that there were some previous repairs. To be sure they are repaired like they should, I ground of the paint .
It was no surprise that they were not repaired like it should.  
 With a chisel I cut off the the pieces off metal that were tacked in place.  What I found, especially on the driver side I could never have imagined. The chassis was rotted from bottom to top.
 On the drivers side the bottom of the spring tower has been previously been repaired. A piece of metal was bent and tacked in place. After removing it I found one big hole.
 So I removed the front support that I put in place while repairing the floor. This gives me access to the under side off the frame.
 So next I drilled out some spot welds an started with cutting out the frame facing the fender.
Tomorrow I will continue this repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment