Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The first welds

Today I started with the frame rail that was cut out. I cut a piece of steel  3 mm thick and bend it at 90°.
After fitting I welded it in place.
 After welding I grinded the weld to flush with the surrounding metal.
 Next the other side of the frame rail was cut out and a new plate welded in place. and ground flush.
 The front of the rocker was severely rotted. There was barely any metal left. so I cut out a piece and bend a new piece.

 That was then welded from the inside of the rocker. The fender is in the way to weld it from the outside.
 Next the weld are also ground flush. After welding in the floor is complete I will take of the fenders to repaire the rocker from the outside.
 After drilling the holes in the frame rail  I welded it in place with spot welds.
 Then the inner rocker was drilled and trial fitted. I clamped it in place with a set of vice grips.
 The way it is looking now it needs some more fitting.
 The underside of the inner rocker is below the flange of the rocker.
I will need to fit the rocker box in place and look how the fit is. But that's for an other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment