Monday, November 21, 2016

Hood hinges

First I took the hood from the car.
And then I unscrewed the bolts from the hinges on the inner fender.
The ones on the driver side came right of. Only one bolt remained somewhat attached.

 I als did take off the nuts from the fender  on the other side. So now I have to come up with a way to mount the hinges again without welding new nuts to the inner fenders.
 And Suddenly I came up with this. These bolts nuts and washers are the solution to my problem.
 First I drilled a center hole in the head of the bolts.
 Then I drilled a hole through the bolt with a 6.5 mm drill bit.
 Then I screwed everything together a bolt and nut with a washer in between.
The washer was then welded to the nut.
 Then on the lathe the bolt with the nut mounted was turned down. So that the nut was shortened 2 mm.
 Then the whole lot is flipped around and the head of the bolt is turned down to a size of 2.5 mm. That is about the depth of the recess for the original nuts. They where spot welded with a very small spot welder so it seemed.
 Then the hole in the bolt is tapped with 5/16 unf treads.
 And then everything was coated with a primer.
Tomorrow we will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment